That is National Blog Posting Month, and you can join officially on that site. I won't be posting what I'm thankful for each day: I'll post it at home instead. I thought I'd tell you what we have been doing at our house during November--we started in 1998, I think.
Every day up until Thanksgiving, everyone (visitors too!) who is at our house at supper time writes down what he or she is thankful for that day. It is written on a leaf (cut out at a teacher's supply store on one of those die-cut machines) and then put up on our Thanksgiving Tree. Here's what it looked like after we put yesterday's leaves on it:When we started this tradition, I cut out a tree from brown paper grocery bags and glued it to bulletin board paper, then stapled it to our basement door (stapled on the back of the door, where it would not show the staple "scars" when I removed the tree). We glued the leaves on then, and that seemed pretty good but it made it very difficult to save our favorites each year--they were glued on very well! After about 5 years of that, I figured out that making a tree we could use year after year made more sense, so I had the whole thing--tree and bulletin board paper--laminated (if you do that, make sure your design will accommodate the doorknob and also will fit in the laminating machine!). I have Velcro on the door and tree at the top and bottom, and the tree comes down after Thanksgiving. The Velcro stays on the door all year long, but it's on the inside where it won't show. The tree paper extends long enough to go over the top of the door and slips under the door at the bottom, and the Velcro on it sticks to the Velcro on the door. We use "sticky tack" stuff to put the leaves on with, and we can save every single one now.

4 comments:
Hi Susan! I love the Thanksgiving tree idea! Feel free to use the picture on my blog. I borrowed it from another site, myself! haha
Have a great night!
Monica
Sure wish I would have known your phone number today.....we spent the whole day in Florence!
Drew had a CC meet at Heritage Christian College at 9 then we made the rounds;mall, KK, 360, and rock pile to name a few.....
Sonya
PS ck our blog for pics (soon)
What a neat idea! I love the tree. I can't wait to see it at the end of the month.
I LOVE your idea. I think we will start this tradition.
Denna
Post a Comment