Saturday, February 06, 2010

Show and Tell

Luci and I were invited to Heritage Christian's homeschool co-op day, to share some things about China. The geography class was studying about The Great Wall of China. Amanda, the mom teaching that unit, invited Luci and me (but really LUCI) to be her show-n-tell.
.
Luci prepared the night before by "doin' my skoo-work." She made a nest for herself behind the recliner and wrote songs and stories in her notebook. (Papa: I was so impressed with one of the songs she made up until JT told me tonight that she was just singing one she'd heard on TV. Major bummer! I thought she was taking after me with that darker-lighter "poem" I came up with at that age.)

Luci wore her "qipao." She loved being in front of the class! Amanda (in the background) had Luci to count to ten in Mandarin. We also posted some names and phrases on the whiteboard. Those of you who are more knowledgeable than I will notice the accent marks missing. Since I wasn't sure which words got what marks, I left them off.
We brought a Miao minority doll to show...
and I read this book, which tells the legend of the Chinese zodiac, and why the animals are in the order that we know them. We also passed out fortune cookies (which most everyone knows are American through-and-through but how can you not have them when talking about China?).
After class, Luci went to the K-4 class on art appreciation. She fit right in and tried to run part of the class (blush!!). She was not afraid to participate. I remembered how the boys were at that age, and they would have shrunk back and not said a word to the teacher. Here Luci is showing the teacher how she would look at 100 years of age (the assignment), and telling how her hair would be PINK.
We were invited on a good day--the day for the Valentine party! Luci brought her Valentine box and a bunch of Valentines and Feingold-approved lollipops to give away. She had a ball being a big girl.

Just checking, to see if anyone has left a Valentine for her yet!
Lunch. Got to carry a tray and everything! Woo-hoo!
And look! Lots of Valentines!


After co-op, we joined another homeschool group for game day. Luci had had enough of Mommy and her camera. Can you tell?

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Way to go, Luci! It appears that you are a wonderful teacher! Susan, I love the picture of her sitting behind the chair "preparing her lesson plans"! It looks like you two had a wonderful day!