.
Christian Home Education Fellowship of Alabama had their convention last weekend. Bryan and JT stayed home. They went to the YMCA to help with a Tang Soo Do test. The real tests were 1) will they get along? 2) will they be safe driving? and 3) will mom have a nervous breakdown worrying about them and the other drivers on the road?
John and I had a really good time. This was his first year to go to a homeschool convention. I was hoping he'd feel some of the good vibes I feel when I go to one. Homeschooling is hard, mostly because you can't send the kids home after the school day is over. I think the most difficult part of homeschooling is that there are not many breaks for mom. So the best part about a convention is the building up of the parents that happens. A real validation of the job we are doing. The other good things are the camaraderie that you experience seeing old friends and knowing that a lot of us are in this group, a large group of Christian families who want the best for their children and work hard every year to achieve this goal.
.
And, of course, the book vendors.
.
.
John enjoyed Andrew Pudewa's keynote address, and circled every other lecture Mr. Pudewa had in the schedule. John went to every one of them, and was so enthused about the messages. Some of you might know of Mr. Pudewa from his Excellence in Writing program. He is so much more than that program. If you ever have an opportunity to hear Mr. Pudewa speak, make the effort to go. He is inspirational and funny, all at once. And he looks a bit like my brother Charlie. Luci thought he looked very familiar.
This trip really cemented John's and my partnership in the teaching of our children. It (the working together) had always been there, but it had fallen mainly on my shoulders. John is getting near retirement and looking forward to taking over some of the educating of our children. I am all for it! I think this past year of travel for him made that desire in him stronger than ever. These kids are growing up fast. No time to waste.
.
What a great weekend.

No comments:
Post a Comment