Sunday, November 27, 2011

Gluten Free Donuts

First, the hamburger buns!  I made them in a muffin top pan, because the dough is so fluid--they won't keep their shape if you just form them on a pan.  I think this is the one I ordered. 

I used one recipe of bread dough that was on the back of the Pamela's baking mix package to make 6 hamburger buns.  I baked them for about 25 minutes at 350*.
Now for the donuts (doughnuts?)

I followed this recipe from Hip Girls.  I didn't change it enough to call it my own, but here are my tweaks:

How to make Yummy Donuts!

Combine: 

2 1/4 tsp yeast
2 tsp sugar
1/4 cup warm water

In a mixer (do NOT use a dough hook), blend:

3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar

Then add:

2 TBS melted butter
1 cup whole milk, at room temperature
a pinch of salt
the yeast/water/sugar mixture

Then add, 1 cup at a time:

3 cups of your favorite Gluten Free baking mix (I used Pamela's)


Beat for 5 minutes on medium.  It will be a wet, sticky dough--it will not come together like a regular, gluten bread dough.

GLAZE  (you can make this as the dough rises)
This is a Krispy Kreme clone recipe, which comes from this site:

1/3 cup butter, melted
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla (the recipe called for 1 1/2 tsp, but I wanted a very-vanilla flavor)
4-6 TBS hot water


Now for the fun part.

Grease a sheet cake pan.  I poured oil on mine and swirled it around until it was well-covered.  The SIDES ON THE PAN are a MUST.

Take a tablespoon measuring spoon AND another spoon (I used a big soup spoon) and oil them well, too.  (I had some extra oil in a measuring cup that I used for re-oiling my spoons and my hands.)  Scoop up a heaping tablespoon of dough and then use the other spoon to flop that ball down on the sheet pan.  Keep doing that until you run out of dough--I had just enough to fill up my whole sheet cake pan.  The oiled spoons are a must-otherwise you will have that dough all over your hands--it's very difficult to pick up the dough and shape into balls with your hands. 

Cover and let the balls of dough rise for 1-2 hours.  I waited about an hour and a half.

After some failed donuts, I realized that the balls were just too thick to get cooked all the way through without burning on the outside.  So, use that oil you have in the measuring cup and grease your hand really well and then smoosh the balls flat.    They are not lovely but will taste good!



Heat oil in a deep pot to 350*.  Mine got hotter than this and fluctuated between 325* and 365*.  The donuts cooked just fine, but you must keep a close eye on them.  Using an oiled spatula (seeing the theme here?  Oil, oil, oil everything!), slide 3 or 4 donuts into the oil.  When they are browned on the bottom, gently flip them over.  The whole cooking time is about 3 or 4 minutes.

Drain the donuts briefly (I used that basket thing and held them above the oil for a few seconds until they stopped dripping oil) and then put into the glaze, turning to coat entirely.  Pick up and let them drip the extra glaze into the pan, and then let cool on a wire rack.


 Try to let them cool enough to handle before eating! 

No comments: