Today was a field trip to an “urban farm.” It is set up in downtown
Birmingham, as a learning center and a store of sorts, when crops are
in.
Luci and I had a lot of fun. She met two new “best friends forever.”
Tasting the smoothie made with lots of things she doesn’t like.
Doesn’t matter that the orange juice and yogurt hid the taste of the
kale, avocado and banana:
The teacher/docent showed the kids the labels that were on some of
the fruit, and wanted them to figure out where the fruits came from (I
know the grammar is not right, but please. It’s my blog.).
The teacher shoved one fruit in Luci's face and asked her where the
banana was from (again, my blog, my grammar rules). Luci is reading 3- and 4- letter words now. Luci just stared at it, looking like a sheep who
had just been asked an algebra question. Like she’s going to be able to
read “Guatemala.” Finally the woman passed it to another kid.
Who knew she likes worms? Not me. She wanted to bring this home as a
pet. Two and a half hour trip home and it’s supposed to survive? My
answer: NO. (By the way, I think that's a beetle larva)
The teacher/docent suggested tossing the juicy worm into the chicken
coop. “The chickens will think that’s a great steak!” Didn’t help Luci. She was upset with that idea. I haven’t seen the worm since
we got home, so I am hoping she let it go there in the garden.
The night before this trip, we had broccoli at supper. Luci would not eat any. I took a teeny-tiny bit of the blossom part and put it into her mouth (we are talking about 1/15th of a teaspoon!) and she gagged. Okay. So you don't like broccoli. What did she find at the urban garden? Purple broccoli. Which she LOVED. Which tasted EXACTLY like the green stuff we had the night before. Maybe if she ate my broccoli with dirty hands, she'd like it. (That's the purple broccoli, with yellow flowers, in the photo.)
Today we had some fine company. One boy in a cape, and one boy who wore
long underwear (it was chilly) and this hat with the earflaps. He was a hoot-and-a-half.
Luci had more fun than I ever would have guessed digging through compost, looking for insects. Here she is with one of her "new best friends forever," and that incredibly unique boy:

No comments:
Post a Comment