Thursday, May 04, 2006

Update on the Basement


The workers are putting up the cement blocks for the basement walls today. They accidentally dug too much for our basement--it was originally going to be just a half basement, but the guy with the backhoe dug a full basement. (I am glad for the error!)

Starting next week is the basic framing of the house--it will actually start to look like a house! For some reason the end of the house with our bedroom, bath, our closet and garage is being made two feet wider (another thing I am thankful for). I've asked John to see if the laundry room wall can be moved the two feet so the extra room can go there instead of the bath and our closet. It would be very nice to make the laundry room also a mud room, or at least have a nice place to put shoes and sports equipment--and maybe some big kitchen appliances, like my bread machine. If it's not a load-bearing wall that I want moved, it should not be a problem.

Nice living out in the county where we don't have the stricter city code to live and build by--it's possible to have the house plans be more fluid and changeable, which is so convenient.

Also--assuming we will be in that travel trailer for a month or so until the house is finished, I am planning to make a part of the basement into a tv/game area for the boys, since their precious video games won't fit into the trailer. I was elevated to "great mom" status for that announcement this morning.

No comments: