Tuesday, April 28, 2009

From Luci's Province...

Here is an article from National Geographic that Amy Tan wrote...all about the Dong people of Guizhou Province, China. Luci is a Buyi, according to her orphanage director, but information from her province is hard to find, so this is a good look into Guizhou.
.
Here is a photo essay from that article.
.
And a video from Guizhou. True to National Geographic, there are some shots of swimmers...so you might want to cover the screen a couple of times if you have little ones watching.
.
Carla--I thought of you and your words from recent post of yours...so much was lost to our precious daughters. Much was gained coming here, to our homes, but much was lost.
.
from the article:

A Guizhou saying:

“Not three feet of flat land, not three days
without rain, not a family with three silver coins.”

4 comments:

Carla said...

oh what a wonderful essay/information that is! We are somewhat lucky in that Katie's province is a vacation destination for some, so lots of travel guides on it. Plus the orphanage, for all their being closed to everything, produced a book about themselves and their foster villages. We got one on our orphanage tour...so at least we have THAT even if we don't have anything else.

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I will have to remember to read this when I get a chance... I love NG and their articles etc are so brilliant... I feel like I am trying to soak up all the info that I can right now... weird this nesting thing...

Julie said...

Wow, thanks for that! It IS hard to find info on Guizhou. I have someone there who is doing some research for me.

He spoke with the orphanage director who thinks my daughter is Miao from Jiali.

I love Amy Tan - can't wait to read the link.

Julie

Carla said...

Katie is most definitely Miao minority from Yunnan. :)