Saturday, March 20, 2010

Williamsburg!

We are finally here. 2 days in the van, the kids got along almost all the time (miracle!). Stopped half-way at the inlaw's house (how convenient for us that they live almost exactly half-way between our house and Williamsburg!) and had a nice visit and lots of good food. It was good to see Mom and Dad W and John's sisters Ellen and Marie, and Ellen's husband, Gary. I'm sure they all liked seeing us, too.

The resort we are staying in is lovely. We are with a group of homeschool families from home who have been studying the start of our great country this year. What a wonderful way to cap off the year with this fabulous trip. I should say "phenomenal" since that is one of the favorite words of one of the mom-leaders here. John was cracking up at the "informative get-together" this morning. The word "phenomenal" was said sixteen times at least, describing different events in Colonial Williamsburg alone.

John drove the entire way here. Totally strange to me. I am used to driving MY van. I sat in the middle row of seats with Luci, while Bryan sat up front with John, and JT manned the back row with the chocolate chip cookies. Which may explain why the kids got along--the boys were as far apart from each other as they could get, and JT had the chocolate in those cookies to mollify him.

I did get to drive this morning, though. I went to pick up our tickets at Jamestown Settlement. So strange that it's only 4.1 miles (or something like that) from our resort, and the furthest thing we are seeing this whole week is Yorktown--a total of 14.6 miles from here! Just going from our home in Alabama to town (which means YMCA, Walmart or church) is 15 miles at least. So much in so little space here. Sort of like the Genie in Aladdin [PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWERS!(there's that word again!) itty-bitty living space!]

I also went back to the grocery store (I love Ukrops! wish we had one back home) and my bag boy is a descendant of the first map-maker in America (that would be Robert Tyndall, maps and info here). All of this closeness and old-ness is amazing to me, who grew up in Texas and Idaho, where everything is brand-new in comparison. I would probably be speechless sight-seeing in Europe or Asia. Which might be a good choice for John if he wants to holiday with me, yet be in peace, too. ha ha

I read most of a book on the second day that I thought would explain JT to me. Strong-Willed Child or dreamer? by Dr Dana Scott Spears & Dr. Ron L. Braund It does describe JT. I am thrilled to find this book (you might even say it's phenomenal). It also describes ME. I love this book. I told John a little about it, that this book is me all over. I have always felt like a failure in friend-making, but this book describes the dreamer, and it's just that my thoughts are always elsewhere. Part of the blurb on the back cover says: "She craves praise and positive attention, yet refuses to conform to what's expected." Aha! Someone who understands. John said, "Yup. You and JT are just alike."

A good book, great if you think your strong-willed child does not really fit the "strong-willed" characteristics that you are familiar with in James Dobson's theory of strong-willed and compliant children.

Photos later!

3 comments:

KT said...

We were there today! We went to Jamestown for the first time in the two years we have lived here. Id love to invite you all over, but we are super slammed with appointments all week. Also, if you need, there is a Trader Joes in Newport News!
Enjoy your trip!
KT

Carla said...

May I borrow that book after you are done reading it?! :) I think I might have myself in it as well.

and Yes, Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown...it's all phenomenal!

If you have extra time, the Maritime Museum just down the road was actually very interesting for my boys. We were basically the only ones there too...life vests from Titanic (wow they are heavy), mock up (and some restored parts) of the Monitor (an "old ironsides" ship)...and many many model boats.

Carla said...

OH...and we played a trick on JM - "Honey we're going to Busch Gardens." JM said, "Oh great...a gardens for Mom to take photos of us in. geee...that'll be fun." complete with eye rolling. LOL He had a great time in the "Garden of Rollercoasters" ;)