God intends for us to raise our children, to "Train a child in the way he should go,..." (Proverbs 22:6)
Sometimes things don't go well, or something happens, then we are to do this: "look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." (James 1:27) Note that it does not say to adopt the orphaned or the widowed. But sometimes that is called for. Luci is one who was in an orphanage, with no foster care in her area. So staying where she was was not a good option. She needed a family. We needed her, too.
We did not set out to "save" Luci. After losing a baby to miscarriage, we (me, mostly) realized how much we really wanted more children in our family.
This past week I came across this post, God and Adoption, by Tonggu Momma. So much of it I agree with wholeheartedly, and is true for Luci.
Some select quotes:
Adoption is often a band-aid placed over a gaping wound.
~~~~~
At the time of adoption, returning to her biological family was not an option... it was either to grow up in care, or to grow up with an adoptive family. She is a wonderful little girl... one who deserves a family, just as ALL children deserve families. Since her biological family was no longer an option, for whatever reason, I am glad that God chose us as His plan B to be her adoptive family.But her adoption? Was a band-aid placed over a gaping wound in rural China.
~~~~~
And this from Divine Caroline:
~~~~~
While I know that each and every child wants a mother and a father, getting a new set of parents doesn’t replace the void left by the absence of the biological parents.~~~~~
All of these thoughts have been buzzing about my head for a while now. Today seemed like a good day to talk about them. At lunch, I shared this blog story about what some families call "Gotcha Day." I said to John that I wanted to make our celebration of our Family Day more low-key, doing what Luci wants and celebrating China during that time.
Luci piped up and said she knew what Gotcha Day was.
Oh really? Tell me about it.
Yeah. You have a ghost on your shoulder!!
me looking surprised...
See? Gotcha! April Fools!
Then Luci put her head in my lap and said she missed her China-mama. And she really does miss her. If you haven't broached the subject with your adopted children yet, please do open the conversation. A great book to help with that is Parenting Your Internationally Adopted Child, which I mentioned back in November.
Next post I promise to be more sequential in my thoughts and make more sense.

2 comments:
This post touched my heart Susan..And it really touched me that you are so in tune with Luci's needs at the time..I remember once when Gregg was just about Luci's age and was in trouble and just started crying and saying he missed his other mom..It was the first time he had ever acknowleged her..It did bring some pain for me but I understood his feelings and needs..He is 20 now and has just asked me for the info to get in contact with his biofamily..I am very honored that he came to me and happy that I can actually provide what he needs to satisfy his couriosity.I wish you had the same for Luci.You and John are doing a wonderful job with your little girl..And it shows not only in how she is blossoming but in her trust in you to be able to talk to you..You should be proud.
Oh, sweetie... I know how that feels. The Tongginator has grieved, too. It is so hard to watch them feel such pain. (((hugs)))
Post a Comment