Sunday, February 20, 2011

After-Shave

Did you know that you can make aftershave?  Since one of our boys reacts to scents that are not from natural sources, I made aftershave for the boys.  Seriously!  I did!

adapted from a recipe on Recipegoldmine.com

Herb Garden Splash

2 cups white vinegar (you can use witch hazel or rubbing alcohol)
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon savory
1 whole bottle of whole allspice
2 whole bay leaves


Combine all ingredients and store in a sterilized glass jar for 1 week. Shake occasionally to mix contents. Strain and pour into a tightly capped bottle.

This smells a lot like Old Spice. Don't let the vinegar-y scent fool you---when that part evaporates, the spice smell will linger. I let it sit in a quart-sized canning jar for 2 weeks. It gets a dark color, just like "real" aftershave. 

What to put it in once it's made?  I bought some cheap aftershave from Wal-Mart, making sure I got glass containers.  I emptied out the cheap stuff and washed the bottles.  Once the aftershave was made, I used a meat flavor-injector similar to this one but without the needle attached.  It was very easy to suck up the aftershave from the canning jar where it steeped and "shoot" it into the glass aftershave bottles.  I added the boys' initials to the bottles and covered the paper with clear packing tape.

1 comment:

Julie said...

You're so talented!!!! :)

http://scrapgrrl.com/