Well. Today was fun.
We left Bryan sleeping (jealous!) and hit the gas station before heading out. Gas was $3.27, up ten cents from the previous week. I felt kind of gypped.
I forgot to call the credit card people to let them know we were going to be traveling; they have put holds on our card before, thinking someone had stolen it. I sure didn't want that to happen on this trip. As we sat in the car, me calling the credit card company, the kids in the backseat kept talking to me. I kept telling them to hush. After I got off the phone, I said, "What do you not understand about 'hush'?" JT told me that he was trying to get me to lock the car doors because there was some commotion going on at the gas station. Apparently, a woman left the store and a man ran out, shouting, "Stop that woman!" There was lots of shouting and all I heard were my two in the backseat.
Of course, on the way out of the gas station parking lot, Luci pipes up that we forgot her breakfast at home...so back we went to get that. Finally, at 8:45, we left town.
Thought it would be fun to take the kids straight north, then west. That way they could count two more states on their "I've been there!" lists. So, up through TN, then KY and then IL. Kentucky and Illinois were new. Long before we could get to Kentucky, we had an emergency bathroom stop for Luci. She was so happy to announce that "This is the first potty stop of the whole trip!" Woo-hoo. It also won awards for the ickiest bathroom in a gas station.
At least we got a good view of this:
JT took that photo.
We finally made it to Columbia, Missouri. It was a long, long day. Ten hours in the car! I won't ever go through KY and IL again. We didn't get to go 70 mph until we'd passed St. Louis. Gas popped up to $3.65 the second we crossed the Alabama line. We are spoiled at home!
The only thing worse than this ten hour day would be driving this distance (540 miles) at 55mph. When Jimmy Carter changed the speed limits to 55 mph back in the 70's it was torture! He only had Amy, and he got to ride around in Air Force One. I'd like to see him drive from Idaho to Tennessee (our trips back in the 70's, to visit the grandparents and cousins). Oh my goodness. Five kids, their parents, luggage (how on earth did it fit in the car?), crackers, Vienna sausage and warm Shasta soda (there was no room for a cooler) for lunches. And JT thinks he has it bad!


3 comments:
Prayers for a safe and enjoyable trip.
"Oh my goodness. Five kids, their parents, luggage (how on earth did it fit in the car?), crackers, Vienna sausage and warm Shasta soda (there was no room for a cooler) for lunches."
-- and no electronic diversions.
LOL, Deborah! Even if they existed back then, they would not have fit in the car with us.
Post a Comment