The first time I can remember my mother taking me clothes shopping was in 1974. August. The mini-mall in Boise. The Bon Marche. Lots of polyester. Trying on lots of clothes, and everything that fit, I was able to take home! Wow. That was the first time I can remember Mom not balking at the price tag. (I'm sure there was a big sale going on for back to school clothes. Plus, we got those handled bags that said, "Bon Marche," perfect for toting gym clothes back and forth to school.)
Many of my clothes until then had been sewn by mom, or picked out when I wasn't with her. While shopping that day, there was one particular blouse, one that had a drive-in movie scene printed on the polyester: I said, "We can't get this one, there is another one almost just like it in my pile." Mom said, "Yes, we can." Wow. That was rare!
Mom always was generous when shopping for her grandchildren (and that time for me at The Bon--and probably for Janet, too, but my child-memory has just mom and me being there). When we'd go to Boise, she'd say, "Let's go to Penney's!" By that time, Boise had a HUGE mall, with a HUGE and very nice JC Penney's. That usually meant new clothes for the boys, and later for Luci, too (she got Gymboree!).
Which brings us to Today. Today I had a coupon for 30% off my total at Kohl's and they were also having a big sale. Plus, I had a girl who has outgrown most of her things, even the clothing that Santa brought not that long ago!
Luci tried on, and tried on, and everything that fit went into my basket. She was so happy! We found a dress that fit and looked so cute, and then went and found two others with the same cut--and asked Luci if she liked those colors, too.
She said, "I like them, but I'd rather have the one we already picked out. I don't want to trade." I said, "Yes, I know--but we can get both of these, too." She was thrilled, but sort of in disbelief. Just like I was back in 1974.
Modeling some of her bounty, with JT's help.

No comments:
Post a Comment