Here's Luci "reading" from the Bible (notice how good she is at it--she can read the Book upside down!). I won't tell you what the story was. She made it up and, although it did have Jesus as the subject, it also had Barbie in there somewhere. Maybe she's going to be a fiction writer when she grows up. Two good things about having Luci join us for lessons: 1) she can make even the grumpiest 7th grader smile, and 2) she can get the boys to sing her Bible songs (real ones, not made up by her!) when I can't. (Don't worry--that mayonnaise jar holding crayons is made of plastic.)
Our life since adding one Chinese sister....I hope you enjoy the journey with us. Luci is a Yi Baby from Guizhou Province. Please note that this site uses cookies.
Tuesday, August 05, 2008
Weaving!
"Weaving" is what families who use Weaver curriculum call "using the curriculum." So now we are actually Weaving! I was pretty excited about today (always have been excited about a new school year--part of the reason I wanted to be a school teacher). The boys had other ideas, however. Did you hear the gnashing of teeth? That was JT. Bryan pretty much buckles down and does what he has to do to get back to his computer games. Luci might be my shining star as a student. She loves getting to "do school," and she loves reading already. The boys were not eager at all when they were 3 years old.
Here's Luci "reading" from the Bible (notice how good she is at it--she can read the Book upside down!). I won't tell you what the story was. She made it up and, although it did have Jesus as the subject, it also had Barbie in there somewhere. Maybe she's going to be a fiction writer when she grows up. Two good things about having Luci join us for lessons: 1) she can make even the grumpiest 7th grader smile, and 2) she can get the boys to sing her Bible songs (real ones, not made up by her!) when I can't. (Don't worry--that mayonnaise jar holding crayons is made of plastic.)
JT looking up definitions on my laptop. Next time, he gets the dictionary instead. I go kind of easy on them at first (but JT would tell you that I am tough right from the start!). Dad gave me this advice when I started teaching: 1) Be nice to the janitor, she's your best friend in that school! and 2) Don't smile until Christmas. So, I am nice to myself, but the second piece of advice I have changed to, "Don't smile between breakfast and the end of vocabulary work." (JT needs that toughness, or he won't do anything.)
Bryan looking up geographical locations on the computer, to mark on his maps.

Here's Luci "reading" from the Bible (notice how good she is at it--she can read the Book upside down!). I won't tell you what the story was. She made it up and, although it did have Jesus as the subject, it also had Barbie in there somewhere. Maybe she's going to be a fiction writer when she grows up. Two good things about having Luci join us for lessons: 1) she can make even the grumpiest 7th grader smile, and 2) she can get the boys to sing her Bible songs (real ones, not made up by her!) when I can't. (Don't worry--that mayonnaise jar holding crayons is made of plastic.)
Labels:
Homeschooling,
Weaver Unit Studies,
Weaving
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
happy back to school:)
We have started our read alouds and their personal reading in the mornings. Our math is on bju sat schedule so no math yet. I just ordered history and bible from sonlight and I am looking forward to the yr:)
So cool!! I LOVE homeschooling. I really enjoyed it when Sophie was little. I've gotta get some pre-k stuff for Silas and Sadie. We need to bring some structure back into our lives!!! :) Have a wonderful week!
Buffi
Maybe I can send my kids over to your house to start school, we still have another month.... We are actually homeschooling this summer, but mom is sure anxious to put them on the bus!! I think its amazing how you do it year round!!
I got several great ideas off your post about going cs free. We need to work on that....
KT
Post a Comment