Thursday, September 20, 2007

Cook's Natural History Museum

Who would'a thunk that Cook's Pest Control had a great little museum? And that it had other stuff, not just a bunch of cockroaches?? As a matter of fact, I didn't see any cockroaches. We saw quite a few insects and bugs, but more minerals and animals and birds than anything else. I've heard of this museum for quite a while but never made it over to Decatur to visit. Worth the trip. This was a free museum, not even a jar out for "donations." (The spell-checker didn't high-light "thunk" so it must be a word!) Here are all the kids that were on the field trip today--Cindy, Nikki and Susan's kids. Luci couldn't figure out which way to look.
JT posing with some Angel Quartz. It was lacy--really unusual.
JT and Bryan with a gorilla bust. Can you pick out the gorilla? JT makes a cute one, don't you think?
Here we are at McDonalds on the Beltline in Decatur. I think the kids liked this nearly as much as the museum. This McD's has lots of memorabilia from the 50's on through the 90's, and some of it is from big movies. I think Marty would like this place.
What a surprise! We met Julie (Xian Li, who is from Wuhan in Hubei Province) and her friend from Guangdong Province. I didn't catch the friend's name. I went up to them and said, "Ni hao," which means hello. Immediately they started speaking Mandarin to me--whoa! It was such a nice surprise to meet up with some charming young ladies from Luci's part of the world, in that little museum in Decatur, of all places. I got Julie's email and have already sent her this photo. Julie speaks Mandarin and the friend speaks Cantonese, so even between themselves they had to translate some.

2 comments:

Julie Young said...

Looks like you guys had a blast. I have never heard of that place either. You made it sound like so much fun that we may have to go check it out sometime. I can't figure out which one is JT and which is the gorilla??!!

Sonya said...

OMG you were in my back door!!! PLEEEEASE CALL ME if you are here again!!!


Sonya

PS my (homeschool) sister is Denise Sowell they live on Keel Mt in Gurley (Four boys)