Saturday, November 01, 2008

Trunk-or-Treat

We had Trunk-or-Treat last night at our church. We've always lived in the country, where trick-or-treating just was impractical. (We've never had anyone come to our door.) Trunk-or-Treat at church is the only Halloween thing our kids have ever known. I'm not real crazy about Halloween, so this suits me. Show up, give out candy, let the kids play, go home...and you don't have to decorate your house for Halloween.


Bryan went as Indiana Jones. The hat and whip were birthday presents. He was a great hit, and even got hugs from a couple of youngsters who are fans of Indy! One teen girl made a big impression on Bryan--she said, "Hey! I know who you are! You're hot!" John and I about died laughing. He does look good, doesn't he?


Luci found a big character she could actually love without crying first. Bryan's friend Josh was Sparky the Fire Dog, and Luci knew it. The fire department's chief goes to church with us, and brought the Fire Safety House to the big bash. This one is not from our community, but you can get an idea of what a Fire Safety House is here.




Rachel and Luci.



It took me a while to figure out that this is Jay, Josh's dad. All he added were the glasses and teeth, but it was such an effective disguise!
It was cold for us! 49* by the time we left. Luci and JT hung out in the car for part of the evening. Luci has sweats on under her princess dress (they're pink, of course!). JT was the Karate Kid.



John and I had a corny "couple's costume"--we were Black and Blue.



Luci got her face painted...



and got a pretty shiny necklace from this lovely lady.


I love that everything at our festival is free. The food is off-limits for our Feingold kids, except for the soda pop and water given away. I made sure that we had supper before we left home, and brought food for us just in case. (Martha Stewart's Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies are better than any candy! Recipe follows.) I confiscated what little candy Luci actually got. Most of the time she played little carnival games and won happy meal prizes, played on the moon-walk toys, and hid out in the van when scary people came by for treats. Scary to Luci is anyone not in a Princess or Tinkerbell costume.


We brought Feingold acceptable Mary Jane peanut butter kisses and plastic bug toys and pencils and magnets (from Walmart and OrientalTrading.com) to give away. We passed out nearly all of our stuff, 2 items per child, so that means about 650 kids came by! Add in the parents, and we had a multitude!


We've already made our Walmart run this morning to buy all the leftover bugs and pencils they had at half-price for next year. You can see I also got half-priced silly string for the kids.




Martha Stewart's Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies

1 cup flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter
8 oz milk chocolate (4 oz. coarsely chopped, 4 oz cut into 1/4 in chunks) --(NOTE: This recipe works with any combination of chocolate--I have even used up to 2 oz. of unsweetened baking chocolate. Semisweet, milk, and dark chocolate work very well in this recipe. Using chocolate chips is fine, too.)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 325*. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt in a medium bowl. Set aside. Melt coarsely chopped chocolate (4 oz) with the stick of butter in a small heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. (I just melted mine in a small saucepan over very low heat--but watch it so it doesn't scorch.)

2. Transfer chocolate mixture (butter and chocolate melted) to the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment. (NOTE: a regular mixer would be fine, or use your own strength to stir it by hand--Martha Stewart always puts in such exact directions--don't let her stuff intimidate you!) Add sugar, eggs, and vanilla, mix on medium speed until combined. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture. Fold in chocolate chunks.

3. Scoop batter using a 1 1/2 inch ice cream scoop; place 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. (note: I didn't use parchment--I just scooped out dough with a spoon) Bake until cookies are flat and surfaces begin to crack, about 15 minutes. Transfer on parchment to wire cooling racks. Let cool 5 minutes. cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.

3 comments:

Denna said...

Bryan does look nice. Of course Luci looks beautiful. Did I miss JT? I don't remember seeing him. I need to go back and look.

Denna said...

Oh I see him now. Peeking out of the van. I can't tell much about his costume. I am guessing he is a Karate kid. ???

Carla said...

Looks like a really fun night! I agree, it was cold!

and...TAG on the creative meme.