Saturday, September 10, 2011

Oka Kapassa: Return to Coldwater

Friday was a wonderful day full of learning.  Luci and I joined some homeschool friends (and a horde of local fourth graders) on a field trip.  We went to Spring Park for the Oka Kapassa festival commemorating the time Indians spent in Tuscumbia during the Trail of Tears march.  During that forced exodus, the Native Americans stopped in Tuscumbia before moving further west.  Generally they were treated well by the North Alabamians, and this is honored every year by a gathering here.  There is singing, dancing, and demonstrations of Indian life as they "recollect Tuscumbia," as Creek Indian Chief Chilley McIntosh desired.  His full quote is,

"As long as our nation remains upon the earth, we will recollect Tuscumbia."

Luci wanted to dress the part.  She had some money to spend and I was very surprised that she did not buy some jewelry...there were some lovely beaded necklaces and bracelets.  My girl chose a bow and arrow set!

Playing in the dirt with Mamie
Okay, Mom, I want to go play now!
This one cracks me up.  I wondered how the true Indians there would react to Luci's outfit, since most of what we saw of female dress resembled Laura Ingalls Wilder's outfits rather than Pocahontas'.  Didn't have to worry.    Here is a Poarch Indian man taking Luci's photo because she looked so cute "and Indianish, Mommy.  I look Indianish."
The reason for the gathering:
I just had to snap this one:  The woman walked up, using her walker, and took a photo with her cell phone.  The boys are always teasing me about my cell phone, saying that mine is one "that old people use.  It's like those jitterbug phones, Mom!"  My phone is not quite that bad.
But maybe it is for old folks...because this lady's cell phone is identical to mine.  Sigh.
Luci and Kenzi posing with two hoop dancers--Grandfather and Grandson both danced, and the girls were impressed!
Working with clay
My Indian maiden with Montana, one of our homeschool friends
Throwing a hatchet!
 
Loved this vignette
The ladies had noisemakers on their legs--this woman had traditional noisemakers.  I could not tell what they were made of.
But this woman's were easier to figure out--tin cans!  The noisemakers weighed up to 15 pounds per leg.
Luci, Kenzi, and others with the dancers. 
Really gorgeous!



Statue commemorating the Trail of Tears...one of our homeschool friends asked his mother what the statue was for, and Luci told him the story.  A proud mommy moment!
My favorite shot of the day:

No comments: