Helen learned 30 words that day, unlocking her genius. Ivy Green is only 24 miles from our home. Helen's story is a great one! It is possible to visit her home and go up to the original pump, even now. I love going there. It was a lot of fun showing Ivy Green off to my parents and nieces a couple of years ago, and attending The Miracle Worker. Helen and I share the same birthday, but not the same year! She was born in 1880. I was born a little later.
The other anniversary: The Battle of Shiloh took place on April 6 and 7, 1862. Shiloh National Military Park is only 47 miles from our home. Dad first took us there 'way back when and now John and I take our kids. John has a stepbrother named Frank who acts in Civil War Reenactments and has appeared at Shiloh.
Photo of Helen Keller taken from here.
Photo of the pump at Ivy Green taken from here.
Shiloh print taken from here.

No comments:
Post a Comment