Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sleep...What Is That, Again?

Luci still is not sleeping through the night. After several emails back and forth from the two families who also adopted when we did, Luci is doing what their daughters are doing...needing only mama for bed, for the middle of the night, and please, please don't leave me!

Don't suggest the "cry it out" method. Luci gets hysterical if I don't show up. It is not night-terrors (she knows exactly where she is and what is going on, and is responsive). It is also not fake. She goes bonkers. When she sleeps in her room and wakes in the night, she makes it about halfway to our room and then starts screaming. It is heartbreaking and wow, what a way to wake in the middle of the night. So she is back in our room, on her crib mattress on the floor. No hysterics, but she still needs mama in the middle of the night.

Yesterday she played at the YMCA playplace for over an hour, then at McDonald's for over an hour, then no nap and sound asleep by 7 p.m. I could not keep her up any later. Then awake at 10 (NO I DON'T WANT DADDY!) and then again at 1 a.m....she was awake until nearly 4 a.m.! And up for the day at 7 a.m. The day before was not much better...lots of play, no nap and up twice. Today she's taking a nap because I need one.

Missing naps doesn't work. Running her silly, playing outside or in the YMCA playground for hours doesn't foster sleep. Routines at bedtime don't work. A cuddly that smells like mama doesn't work. Melatonin doesn't work. Giving mom a shot of liquor might work, but not for her.

I am exhausted.

I'm still hoping for rain.

6 comments:

Buffi Young said...

WOW...I will pray for you. My two take a 2 hour nap EVERY DAY...and I have NO clue what I would do without that time. Actually, if they don't get their naps they are more restless at night. I hope that Luci will be able to go through the night really soon...for all of your sakes!!!
Buffi

Carla said...

did you get the rain?

sleep - ummm....I'm no help, but I'm sorry you are missing sleep. THAT truly stinks. I had a friend who squirted water around the room for her son who went through this (he was bio son too). She was "squirting good dream solution" around.

I also know families who have 2nd graders who sleep on mattresses in their parents room. Happy well adujusted kids and family.

Julie Young said...

Sorry that you are not getting any sleep. That is crazy that she still won't sleep through the night. Looks like you got the rain you were wanting. :)

Denna said...

I know that has to be hard on you not getting much sleep. Sometimes I think the children have something in their mind from China that triggers this.
Brooke is scared to death when it rains and storms. She will cry and be so scared. Many times I wander if something did not happen in China that she can remember as far as storms. I mean she has been this way from day one. It is getting worse I think. I hope you get some sleep soon. I sent you a email before I read this. Now I feel bad. I did not realize you was so tired and loosing sleep.

Anonymous said...

You must be exhausted:-(
We too have had sleep issues. One daughter cant sleep at night, because of nightmares. And one is hyperviglient, so it has to be pitch dark. Then when she sleeps it is restless, almost violent, and she has frequent join pain at night.
If only we could get in these little minds, huh.
I say do what works for your family, there is no magic answer with adopted kiddos!
Hang in there :-)
KT

Our Little Girl is all Grown up! No more Baby! said...

hang in there,sorry i cannot help, ashley is great sleeper sometimes if she has a active she will fight her sleep, sometimes she will have a bad dream, the nap thing is starting to the end. she will nap sometimes others no, but if she does not nap she will watch a movie her room. for quite time. and then she is in bed by 8 fast a sleep. alot of children are having some sleep issue, you never know what is going in there heads.