Tuesday, October 09, 2007

M.O.T.H. Update

M.O.T.H. stands for Mangers of Their Homes, the book I've been reading. It took a while, but I finally got a schedule figured out for us.
The book comes with a lot of scheduling how-tos and encouragement. Good thing, because it is quite a daunting task. I am happy that we only have three kids to schedule. There is room on this chart for seven kids! One column is for Mom. I ended up using the extra columns to line out what we do on Mondays and Wednesdays (JT's karate at YMCA, which makes those days completely different from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm). So those extra columns are handy.
Everyone has a different color--that makes it easy to see what you are supposed to be doing now and what's up next. Very handy when there are chores to be done, and school work to do, and Mom doesn't have to constantly remind or fuss. The kids liked what they saw--JT is thrilled to have Bryan to play with for 30 minutes every day and Bryan is relieved JT has a limit on his time. Both boys liked that they each have a 15 minute time for teaching games with Luci. Luci even got tickled that her columns are pink (so she's tickled pink?).
Bryan commented, "Wow, it's like a Rubik's cube." When my column says, "shower," Bryan's says, "watch Luci so Mom can take a shower, JT's says, "computer time" and Luci's says, "Play with Bryan so Mommy can shower." Everything meshes. As for me, I am thrilled to bits that every single day I will get to shower! (Hey, is that the neighbors I hear cheering?!)
Right now the charts are huge and the pieces are stuck on with sticky-tac. That's so we can see it well and move things around as needed to make the schedule serve us, not us serve the schedule. When we decide we like how it's going (or rather, when I decide it's working well--the boys are sure to balk at chores and lessons!), I can put in on a Word spreadsheet, colors and everything, and print off a copy for each of us. Then, next year, it will be a matter of cutting and pasting on the computer to tweak it for the new set of classes.
These two charts cover 2/3 of the day--there is another cabinet door with the last 1/3, and another with lists of daily and weekly chores for the kids and myself (yes, even Luci has chores to do). I didn't schedule John except for playing with Luci and doing her bath time. He has been warned, however, that when he retires in a couple of years, that he will get his own color and column on the chart--when he's home we don't get much done school-wise: the kids think Daddy being home is a grand excuse for playing. Just wait, kids...Dad's going to be scheduled to teach all the higher maths! I'll have my revenge yet...and I'm not telling if it's the boys or John I'm paying back. :)

Cool. Just did spell-check, and no errors! I hope the grammar was correct, it won't account for that.

1 comment:

Julie Young said...

HA! That is too kool. Don't threaten John too much or he may not retire. LOL!! JK John!!